Monday, June 18, 2007

Time to buy a boat?

Amy woke up last night at 2AM to take care of a crying Caroline. She woke me up soon after due to almost constant lightning - not much rain - but quite a light show. Well, when I went for a jog this morning, I noticed the culverts (about ten feet deep) had standing water about 3-5 feet up the walls. I then went home and grabbed the camera and below are some picture of the sidewalk leading to the park by our house.


Notice first, that there isn't much sidewalk left. Glad I don't work for the city and have to clean up this mess after the water recedes.


The four posts you see in this picture are the corners of the bridge across the creek leading to the park. The posts are about six feet tall - the bridge is about 10-12 feet above the creek. The debris has caught on the bridge rails so luckily the bridge is still there.


This is the sidewalk leading to what is normally an open field. Past the right of this picture, behind the trees, are some of the houses in the neighborhood.


This picture shows just how far back the water goes into the park. The set of trees in the middle of the picture is normally between some baseball fields and a football field - all underwater.

This is a picture of the backyard of a house across the street. The water is normally behind the line of trees in the background. I have been told that the houses across the street all have flood insurance because their backyards are partially in a 100 year flood plain. I would have never believed it if I hadn't taken the pictures.




Posted by Picasa

No comments: